BuildTak is our replacement of choice for blue painters tape. BuildTak is a bit more expensive than painters tape, but it is more durable and longer lasting with all of the same benefits of painters tape. BuildTak is one of our recommended tools / accessories for 3D printing.
Steps for Installing BuildTak
- Use Acetone to clean your print bed of any left over adhesives from tape. Make sure it is really clean!
- Then measure your print bed. The Printrbot Simple Metal is about 9.5″ between screws so I use a 6″x10″ piece of BuildTak and try to cut the BuildTak to about 9.25″.
- Now mark the BuildTak where you want to cut it on both edges.
- Use a cutting mat and an exacto knife to cut the BuildTak to size (use a ruler to keep your edge straight).
- Test fit the BuildTak on the printer before peeling the back off.
- If you need to, trim the BuildTak with a pair of scissors.
- Peel the back off the BuildTak and apply it starting at one edge.
- Use a plastic scraper to smooth out any air bubbles.
[box]Read more about our experiences with BuildTak[/box]